You have a lot of fancy ideas but you’re not sure if you can express them well in writing and not sure if your articles will be as captivating as your thoughts.
How to Turn Your “Brain Dump” into an Epic Article
The phrase brain dump refers to these things:
- Commonly, a brain dump is the transfer or the exchange of a large quantity of information from one person to another person. A ‘brain dump’ as it’s referred, can also be a storage and retrieval medium.
- The slang meaning for brain-dump can describe a hurried or rushed explanation of a system, job, skill set, or other engineering subjects.
- In the computing and IT world, the phrase ‘braindump usually describes the taking of a snapshot of the internal state of a knowledge database (generally for transfers or archiving purposes). Therefore, the copying of any dataset may be termed a ‘brain dump’ if its contents could be colloquially referred to as a ‘brain’. [source]
You Are More Than You Thought
I appreciate your ideas; I want to hear them!
Your ideas are yours; they’re original and unique. They’re refreshing and beautiful!
You might say that your random thoughts are unorganized and cluttered. It’s a headache to think about reorganizing them, let alone writing a sterling article others would be in awe of.
However, are you aware that you have won at the starting point with your very own ideas? Professional writers have to constantly research their next topic, but you have your original thinking.
Your writing will have a soul and all you need to learn is how to lay out your thoughts. At the end of the day, it is your original thinking rather than a sugar-coated article with a hollow voice that keeps readers surprised and keeps them coming back.
You might regard your random thoughts as “a brain dump”, but I would like to share with you a practical way to transform your “brain dump” into an epic article in no time.
Simple Routines Are Anything But Simple
The other day, when I was trying to help a colleague with his article, I sent him a list of these functional steps that I have been unconsciously using for a long time to compose my articles.
This simple routine incident inspired me to write this post. I was thinking about showing my way of thinking, and this may shed light and help you.
See Your Train of Thought at a Glance
After I wrote the paragraphs above, I highlighted my main ideas; when looking back at the highlighted phrases, I clearly see my train of thought.
- I presented the problem – the mental obstacles
- I pinpointed the strength to make the solution possible – your original ideas
- I pinpointed the weakness and offered a solution – how to lay out your thoughts
When you see your train of thought in a straightforward way, you may:
- Rearrange main points
- Make sure that the points are focused
- Get rid of unwanted parts
- Write descriptive subheadings based on highlighted subpoints
- Write an arresting headline that reflects the essence of your points
- Review your article and add concrete personal examples to make the writing true to life
Apply the Concept Here and Now
This post is a good example to demonstrate how I automatically implement this strategy. After doodles, I understood the reasons behind my urge to write this article and realized my motivation to help others improve their writing – I recognize and value every individual’s original ideas and wish to help them express their priceless thoughts. This becomes the focal point of this article.
From there, I come up with:
- You are more than you thought
- Simple routines are anything but simple
- How highlighting key phrases can help you see your train of thought immediately
Then I elaborated:
- How to grab attention by presenting the problem first;
- How to reinforce the strength in order to lead to the solution afterwards;
- Suggest the solution naturally.
However, if I were to write the article from thinking about the grammar rather than letting out all my “brain dump”, it would have been a list of steps I gave my colleague without any descriptive headings, needless to mention the elaboration and the realization of my appreciation of originality.
The key point to write an effective article is to start from writing down all your “brain dump” and then be willing to throw away all portions irrelevant to your central ideas. The more brain dump you jot down, the more substantial items you keep. Therefore, when it’s time to exclude anything else, you would be much less hesitant and your writing will turn out to be 10 times more brilliant.
During the process of writing this article, it even prompted me to offer tangible help to you. If you have ideas, please contact me with your “brain dump” and I will be more than happy to help you make it a masterpiece.